Saturday, May 29, 2010

Saturday Morning


I bought this today.
This morning I met Lorraine, my friend of 40 years, for breakfast at The Omelet House. They have the best breakfasts! Lorraine and I get together there once a month to chat.
After breakfast, we went to the Book Magician, a used bookstore. This place is so cool. They have a cat named Merlin (Mortimer?). I'll find out for sure next time. He's 21 years old. I gave him a nice massage and he rubbed his head on my foot. Lorraine bought 5 paperbacks and I found this treasure. It's in perfect condition - jacket and all. I love used books. I love to find inscriptions and wonder about the previous owners. Frank Dold of Toronto, Canada wrote his name in the back of this one. I thought he might be an artist, but I couldn't find anything about him on the Internet. By the way, this book was originally priced $50.00 and I bought it for $16.00. If you live in Las Vegas, check out this store. It has a wonderful kind of mystic, hippie, San Franciso, gentle atmosphere; not to mention great used books!

11 comments:

Ralph said...

Seems you found a real bargain. We do not have many such places in Scotland. I hope this finds you well.

Autumn Leaves said...

Looks like a fabulous book, Candy, but that table it is sitting on? Swoon.......................Now I'm wanting to go out for breakfast too!

Deb Harvey said...

What a great idea! I need to start planning time to meet with friends and family. We've just been working way too much!

Your bookstore sounds like the one we go to at the beach. I can spend hours there, and they have a great little cafe with amazing lunches! Hmmmm, I think we need to take a trip to the beach!

Have a great weekend!

Candy said...

Hi, Ralph! I'm not sure why, but I thought Scotland would have a lot of cozy, used bookstores. All is well here. I hope all is well with you, too.

Sherry, you would love this book. It has great photos of Wyeth's paintings and comments he made about what he was thinking when he worked on them. The table the book is sitting on is in our computer room. It was given to us by some friends because they were redecorating. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, but it's pretty.

Deb, go to the beach! It sounds great to me!

Cobalt Violet said...

Wow, what a score!!! I have been going to used bookstores for about 20 years now and I love them! And nothings better than finding great art books! There is one in Ojai with lots of tables and chairs outside and a sofa inside to sit and have a tea while perusing the books. Anyway... Enjoy !

Tracey said...

Sounds like a neat place. Especially since it has two of my favorite things...books and kitties :)
Tracey

Anonymous said...

Hi Candy, it's your sister Tammie, I mean Tammy, your husband is just the smartest guy in the whole wide world....I would like, I mean HE would like a real nice present for Father's Day, like a new electric car.....

Love, I mean sincerely,
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Hi Candy, it's Frankkkk Dold of Canada..I'm glad that you are enjoying my book. I had to sell it after the great crash of '87...I couldn't even afford to buy hockey tickets back then...Enjoy!

Candy said...

Hi, Frank. Hi, Tammie. You sound suspiciously like my husband. We can't get an electric car right now, Baby:) How about a new bicycle?

Cobalt Violet, used bookstores are terrific, aren't they? I'm headed your way to check out your latest posts on Italy.

Tracey, you and I love the same things. All 4 cats are hanging out with me as I type.

Unknown said...

I would LOVE shopping at the Book Magician... and I do love Andrew Wyeth. You got a nice bargain! Thanks for your comments on my blog. You are so sweet!

Candy said...

Katherine, thank you for stopping by. I'll be back to visit your blog to see how the Bohemian life is going:) I hope to go Bohemian myself at the end of July:)