Wednesday, July 19, 2017

My Afternoon Visitor

When I got home from school today, I turned on the kitchen faucet.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something scrambling in the sink.  I was thinking, “Please don’t be one of those giant water bugs.”  It was a teeny, tiny lizard!  Now, in the olden days, I caught frogs, crickets, lady bugs, turtles, etc. with my bare hands and took them to safety.  I actually did bare-handed rescues into my fortiesJ.  The only things I ever kill with ease are wood ticks and mosquitoes.  I doubted that the lizard was poisonous, but my knowledge of lizards is very limited so I looked around for something I could catch him in to carry him outside.  Let me tell you that it is very difficult to catch a small lizard because they are fast and I was scared of hurting him.  I finally caught him in a plastic storage container and put him outside.  I hope he does well out there and doesn’t get caught by a bird.  I’m glad Jim wasn’t home because I think he thinks I’m nutsJ.  

I looked online and found a picture that looked like my lizard, except I think mine is a baby.  I think he's a Mediterranean house gecko.

By the way, only 1 more week of summer school and we'll be on vacation for 3 weeks!

6 comments:

padmaja said...

Oh no, a LIZARD in America? I thought they never existed there! I am so scared of them that I cant live in the house if I come to know there is a lizard somewhere, my antenna intuitively is up! Believe me I have caught about 500 lizards in the past 30 years and thrown them back to the gardens. But each time I try to catch, I almost get a heart attack!

Candy said...

Padmaja, you cracked me up! I have to admit that my muscles were all tense even an hour after I caught him. He was so tiny and I was so scared that in my uncoordinated effort to catch him I would hurt him. I'm impressed that you've caught so many!

Chris Lally said...

Aw, I don't think you're nuts, Candy. You did a really good deed! So cool you didn't want to hurt him!!

Barbra Joan said...

Good thing some of these people don't live in Florida. I can't go outside that I don't run across one.. But ours are pretty green color when in a plant. But some are brown and not so pretty especially when they get old...
Like you I've saved them, yes even in the house. What you hear about the bugs, and critters here is true. I'm deathly afraid of spiders, and years ago saw one that was as big as a salad plate. That was including it's legs too. LOL ! No not a funny sight.

Candy said...

Thank you, Chris!

Candy said...

Barbra Joan, yikes! A spider as big as a salad plate! I haven't seen any green lizards here. I've seen tan and also some big pink and black ones out at Red Rock Canyon.