Saturday, June 1, 2013

More Flowers

Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets.  I went into my art room to start a sketch and I found a copy of this poem.  I copied it from the Good Reads website so I could share it with you by using copy and paste rather than typing it myself:)

The sweetness of dogs (fifteen)

What do you say, Percy? I am thinking
of sitting out on the sand to watch
the moon rise. Full tonight.
So we go

and the moon rises, so beautiful it
makes me shudder, makes me think about
time and space, makes me take
measure of myself: one iota
pondering heaven. Thus we sit,

I thinking how grateful I am for the moon’s
perfect beauty and also, oh! How rich
it is to love the world. Percy, meanwhile,
leans against me and gazes up into
my face. As though I were
his perfect moon.”
― Mary Oliver 

This may be a sign that I should paint one of my furry children today, but I already had my mind set on painting some more flowers from my garden.  This is my next project. 

I started out by putting a full sheet on my board, but I'm switching to a quarter sheet.  I'm going to do something else on the full sheet.  I hope you are having a magical weekend!

8 comments:

padmaja said...

That is a beautiful poem! We don't "see"and enjoy that are little miracles of nature that are right in front of us and thus we lose those moments of bliss and gratitude. When we do so, we are in "zone"!
I think that would be an awesome project you are going to try Candy, look forward to it!

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful poem. And so fitting a description of a dog's devotion... Thanks for sharing this Candy and a beginning to the magical qualities of summertime!

Jimmm said...

I got it now.........I thought U said quarter sheet on the Bed!!!!

Candy said...

Hi, Padmaja! I'm glad you liked the poem. Sometimes it's difficult to remember to stop and enjoy those little miracles of nature.

Hi, Katherine! I agree that it's a perfect picture of a dog's devotion.

Oh, Jimmm, you're so silly:)

martinealison said...

Bonjour ma chère amie,

Je sais que le traducteur fait ce qu'il peut pour nous restituer les mots les mieux adaptés !...
Toutefois je peux dire que malgré les maladresses, ce poème est très beau. Il m'inspire une grande sérénité, un partage affectueux et fidèle, et aussi l'amitié qui lie l'être humain à son chien ou plutôt le chien à l'être humain !...

J'ai hâte de pouvoir admirer votre travail...
Vos fleurs sont sublimes, comme le sont souvent les fleurs bleues qui sont également plus rares...

De gros bisous à vous et un grand merci pour votre très gentil message.

Candy said...

Bonjour, mon cher ami, Martine! Je suis si contente que vous aimiez le poème. Même avec Google Translate, la poésie de Mary Oliver brille. Je suis assis ici avec l'un des chats sur mes genoux. Il me regarde comme Percy dans le poème :) J'aime les fleurs bleues tellement que j'espère que je peux faire un bon travail sur la peinture. Merci pour commenter!

Avoir un merveilleux week-end! Bises à vous!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Candy - so glad to meet you. Your watercolors are beautiful. I too love flowers and your roses are awesome. I will be stopping back often to visit. Have a lovely week-end.

Candy said...

Hi, Debbie! Thank you for stopping by! I'll be visiting your blog often, too.