Friday, May 29, 2020

Trees in the Mist

I worked on a David Smith demo today.  This is my first attempt.  I'm going to try again tomorrow.  There are some changes I'll make.  The yellow, red and blue part of the sky needs to be bigger and not quite so circular.  I need to work on the colors and shapes of the trees and extend the middle trees up more on the right side.  There is too much space between the top of the yellow mountain and the trees.  I'm going to bring in more purple in the distant mountains.  I do think I got the misty effect.  That makes me happy.  I have no pride, so I'm posting the picture because I'm really excited and I know you guys will have mercy on me and won't judge David's teaching skills by my painting:)  This is on a 1/4 sheet of Arches cold press.




6 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Candy you may see things you want to improve but I consider this eye lovely. Yes indeed you captured the feeling of mist. It is always a delight to see your beautiful art. Take care and have a blessed week. Hugs!

Candy said...

Thank you, Debbie! You are so kind. You have a wonderful week. Hugs right back!

Barbra Joan said...

Lol yes, we do have mercy on one another., But this needs none. Looking good and When we learn something from a painting it’s worth so much. Hope your staying safe and well. I’m trying.

Chris Lally said...

Candy, this painting is gorgeous! It looks like my neck of the woods - Western Oregon, the mist in the fir trees is a common sight here. The color in your trees, though, is prettier:)

Candy said...

Hi, Barbra Joan! Thanks! This was such a fun demo and David Smith is fun to watch even if you don't try to paint along. I hope all is well with you.

Candy said...

Thank you, Chris! My sister used to live in Newport and she loved it. Your neck of the woods is beautiful!